CS312 :: Homework 1
Answer each of the following questions with a few sentences or with a small diagram (be sure any
labeling is very easily readable in diagrams or digitally label them). We will likely need to research some
This assignment addresses several aspects of computer hardware, including interesting but little-known
components, similarities between components, PC “disassembly”, and some historical and political
aspects of some primary vendors. Enjoy the process! We will gain a deeper insight into the content
presented in week 1.
When done, please convert what you have into a .pdf file and upload it to Canvas.
Consider using a document with inserted screenshots, drawings, and other supporting material in one
1. What does the clock generator on a motherboard do? (2 points)
2. What is the resonant circuit in the clock generator usually made from? (2 points)
3. What is an anti-static wrist strap for? (2 points)
4. Why is it important to be grounded when working inside of a PC? (2 points)
5. What is the commonly-given maximum resolution of the ubiquitous VGA connector at 85 HZ?
Does it surprise you that it reaches that resolution? Why or why not? (4 points)
6. Discuss the term “Wintel”, and its dominance in the PC marketplace. (6 points)
7. Suppose that a customer of yours wants to replace the CPU in their custom desktop PC (that is
to say, it is built from off-the-shelf parts, instead of made by a big vendor like HP, Dell, etc.).
Write up a brief set of instructions, walking the user through how to do it. (8 points)
(Note: does not have to be perfect!)
8. What is a motherboard beep code, and why are they important? (4 points)
9. What is USB-C, and how is it an improvement over previous designs? (4 points)
10. Draw the following video jacks: (6 points)
a. HDMI (full-size)
c. DisplayPort (full-size)
d. DVI-I 学霸联盟