Page 1 Kaplan Business School Assessment Outline
Assessment 1 Information
Subject Code: DATA4700
Subject Name: Digital Marketing and Competitive Advantage
Assessment Title: Customer Analytics Case Study
Assessment Type: Individual Case Study + Statement of Intent
Word Count: 1200 Words (+/-10%)
Weighting: 25 %
Total Marks: 25
Due Date: 23:55pm AEST, Week 6
• The business question you are to address is: Which of the customers in your database
will you choose to engage with to increase revenue or reduce churn, and how will you
accomplish this goal?
• The dataset containing information about customers' purchasing history can be accessed at
the following link: https://www.kaggle.com/regivm/retailtransactiondata
• You will analyse the data to create a market segmentation of your customer base (Topic 4)
• You will need to justify the segments that you have created (Topic 1)
• You will choose one segment to target, giving thought to RFM Analysis and Customer
Lifetime Value (Topic 4)
• You will provide recommendations on how best to engage with the target customer segment
that you have chosen (Topics 2 and 3)
• You will write a short statement of intent which addresses: (1) who your target audience is for
the report and (2) what techniques have you used to connect with that audience and improve
the readability of your report for that audience.
• An individual report of 1000 words (+/- 10%)
• A 200 word statement of intent (see instructions above).
• Analysis of a provided dataset
• Based on the analysis, write a report justifying how the customer segmentation was done, which one
customer segment to target, and how to engage best with that target segment
• Learning outcomes: LO1, LO2, LO4
Your report should have the following headings and address the topics below:
Page 2 Kaplan Business School Assessment Outline
1. Introduction: A brief overview of the dataset and the task that you are conducting
2. Data analysis: The techniques used and insights arising from the segmentation of the
3. Customer segmentation: Explanation of how the customer segments that you have created
differ from each other
4. Target segment: Indication of which one customer segment to target with your marketing
activities, and a justification of why you chose that segment
5. Recommendations: What tactics you will perform to retain the customer segment that you
have chosen to target
6. Statement of Intent: Who is the target audience and what have you done to try and make
your report more accessible for that audience.
Important Study Information
Academic Integrity Policy
KBS values academic integrity. All students must understand the meaning and consequences
of cheating, plagiarism and other academic offences under the Academic Integrity and Conduct
What is academic integrity and misconduct?
What are the penalties for academic misconduct?
What are the late penalties?
How can I appeal my grade?
Click here for answers to these questions:
Word Limits for Written Assessments
Submissions that exceed the word limit by more than 10% will cease to be marked from the point
at which that limit is exceeded.
Students may seek study assistance from their local Academic Learning Advisor or refer to the
resources on the MyKBS Academic Success Centre page. Click here for this information.
Page 3 Kaplan Business School Assessment Outline
Assessment Marking Guide
Section Criteria Marks
Concise summary of
characteristics of the
dataset and of the
task to be conducted
Indication of what
were used to
segment the market,
and what insights can
be drawn about the
customers in the
Clear distinction of
how the customer
differ from each other
Page 4 Kaplan Business School Assessment Outline
Justification of which
segment to target
Proposal of which
engagement to use
with the target
segment to retain
them as customers
Page 5 Kaplan Business School Assessment Outline 学霸联盟