Final Exam Instructions
MATH 239 Winter 2021
Due: Sunday, April 25 at 3:59:59 PM Waterloo time
1. You must upload all parts of the exam according to these instructions by Sunday, April 25
at 3:59:59 PMWaterloo time. There will be no late submissions.
2. There are three separate submissions: Part A, the integrity statement, on Crowdmark; Part B,
the quiz, on LEARN; and Part C, the written questions, on our custom server.
3. Part A: You must upload (to Crowdmark) either:
• An unaltered copy of the academic integrity statement included with this exam, printed
and signed on paper, or signed on a tablet or electronic device, or
• A handwritten acknowledgement with text exactly as indicated on that page.
Your grade on this exam will not be credited in this course unless you do so.
4. Part B: Please submit your LEARN quiz by Sunday, April 25 at 3:59:59 PM Waterloo time. The
time restrictions are the same as for part C. Part B will have partial credit awarded according
to the formula, Points(Correct - Incorrect)/Total.
5. Part C: Please use the link to our custom exam upload system which we provided to you on
LEARN. For the written questions, each exam problem must be submitted to correct question.
You can upload a maximum of 8 pages for each question. PLEASE SET ASIDE SUFFICIENT
TIME BEFORE THE END OF THE EXAM TIME LIMIT TO SUBMIT YOURWORK.
6. You may write or type your solutions. We will accept anything that is legible (and the correct
file type and size). If you take pictures of handwritten pages, please make sure that they are
in the correct orientation and are not blurry.
7. Note that if the main exam submission server crashes during the exam period, backup
submission drop-boxes will be available on LEARN. Do not upload your solutions there
unless the server fails. Do not upload your solution there if the server does not accept your
file because of format or size restrictions. You must format your files as required by the server.
If you use the drop-boxes, please make a private post on Piazza to let us know.
MATH 239 Winter 2021 Final Exam Instructions
8. Your answers must be stated and justified in a clear and logical form, and you must show all
of your steps in order to receive full marks. Your writing needs to be legible. Your arguments
must be logical, clear and easy to understand. Simplify your answers as much as possible.
Unless stated otherwise, you should justify all steps and simplify all answers as much as
9. All results from class may be used without proof. However, citations are necessary. Indicate
clearly each time a result from class is being used. If a result has a name (e.g. Sum Lemma,
Product Lemma, Handshaking Lemma), you may use the name. Otherwise, you should say
“by result from class” and provide enough information so that the markers can figure out
which result you are using. You may use theorem numbers from the course notes, theorem
numbers from lectures, or any other method that identifies the result unambiguously.
10. The exams are open book, but not open internet. You are allowed to use anything that is
posted on LEARN, Crowdmark and Piazza of this course this term. You are also allowed to
use any notes that you have created yourself. However, you are not allowed to use the internet
to search or ask for answers. You are also not allowed to communicate with anyone in any
form about the exam until the exam period is over. Note that during the exam periods,
Piazza will only allow private posts.
11. There are 3 written questions on the exam, totalling 20 marks, plus 9 questions on the LEARN
quiz totalling 18 marks.
This exam is designed to be similar in length and difficulty to a 2-hour in-person exam. Much
like for an in-person exam, this does not mean that you should expect to produce a complete
solution for all problems within two hours. However, you will likely make most progress in the
first two hours, especially on questions that cover topics you understand well. Of course, you may
choose to spend more than two hours on the exam itself.
The actual time limit on the exam is 24 hours (you may start any time after the start time and you
must submit by Sunday, April 25 at 3:59:59 PM Waterloo time), leaving you lots of time to upload
your solutions and deal with unexpected technical issues. We strongly recommend you upload
your solutions at least an hour before the deadline. Last minute uploads are at your own risk.
There will be no accommodations for late submissions under any circumstances.
MATH 239 Winter 2021 Final Exam Instructions
PART A – INTEGRITY STATEMENT
You must submit a signed integrity statement. Go to LEARN→ Content→ Final Exam→ Part
A: Academic Integrity Statement.
• You may either sign the statement we provide, or write by hand the acknowledgment
provided in the document.
• Your score on the exam will be 0 if you do not submit a signed integrity statement.
• Please submit your integrity statement through Crowdmark. This is the only part of the exam
that will be submitted to Crowdmark.
PART B – LEARN QUIZ
Part B of the exam consists of 9 questions. Go to LEARN→ Content→ Final Exam→ Final
Exam Part B to access and answer the questions.
• You may only attempt the quiz once. After you submit, you will not be able to change your
• The quiz has the same time limit and the rest of the exam.
• If you enter the quiz, then leave the page, and re-enter the quiz later, LEARN should save
• You will not see your score until after the exam is over.
• LEARN does not auto-submit your saved progress when time runs out. Please make sure
you actually submit the quiz before the deadline.
PART C – WRITTEN QUESTIONS
Part C of the exam consists of 3 written questions. Upload your handwritten (on paper, tablet,
or electronic device) to the submission server. Go to LEARN→ Content→ Final Exam→ Part
C to access the questions and for the link to the submission server.
• Our server accepts up to eight pages per question. The valid upload formats are PDF, JPG,
and PNG with a maximum file size of 10 MB. Please ensure that the pages for each question
are in the correct order and orientation.
• There is no submit button. Feel free to refresh the page to verify that your uploads are now
on the server.